It may seem a little crazy to some of you, to go out camping in the desert. But if you wish to take on a unique adventure, I could not recommend it enough.
If you do decide on camping in the desert, you should take note of the fact that not all deserts are the same.
American deserts are not as large as the ones that you can find in the Middle East or Australia for example. But one thing that they do have in common is that they are all beautiful landscapes that should be experienced by all.
Today, I am going to go over all the things that you need to know about camping out in the hot desert.
Things that you should keep in mind when desert camping.
All deserts have one thing in common, their climate. The temperature during the day is usually very high, however, that all changes at night, as when the sun goes down, so does the temperature.
You will need your own supply of water as there are no water sources in the desert. Just make sure you bring enough for your whole stay.
The desert holds no vegetation and its fauna is sparse. This means that a camping trip in the desert does not have much to do with getting to know the types of animals or plants that exist there.
What camping gear should you bring with you when camping in the desert?
Now that the important aspects are out of the way, let’s get on to what you should be packing with you on your camping trip.
Camping equipment for the desert
- A desert camping tent – You will need a specific type of tent that will allow you to be cool during the day, warm at night, and also be able to protect you from any harsh desert winds.
- A warm sleeping bag – Ideally, you will need the warmest sleeping bag that you can get. This may sound a little strange, being that you are camping out in the desert, however on a night, it gets extremely cold.
- A first aid kit – When camping anywhere, you should take a first aid kit with you, however in this case, you will need to take one that contains an antivenom serum. Since the desert is home to many different types of snake, you want to make sure that you are covered in case you get bitten by one.
- Sunscreen – Obviously, you will need to protect yourself from the blazing sun, so make sure you pack some sunscreen with you.
Survival Equipment For Desert Camping
- A flashlight and an extra set of long-life batteries.
- Candles and either matches or a lighter to light them with.
- A good camping knife.
- GPS if you have one. If not then take a compass. As lots of people get disorientated in the vast desert, you may not be able to find your way back to camping if you get lost. If you are taking a GPS, make sure that you note down your camp co-ordinates.
- A map to further decrease the likeliness of getting lost.
- Radios for each camper. In most deserts, it is hard to get a phone signal. Using radios will make sure that you can easily call your campmates if needed.
- A decent water bottle.
Personal items for camping in the desert
Obviously, just like any form of camping, you will need to take some personal items and hygiene products such as toilet paper, soap, a hat to keep the sun off your head, and clothing.
Just remember that when it comes to clothing, you should only wear clothes that are made of light colors as these will be better for reflecting the sun’s rays. Dark colors tend to absorb the sun’s heat, and that is the last thing that you want when out in the hot desert sun.
As the temperature drops dramatically during the night, it is wise to take some extra bedding to go with your sleeping bag.
If t is possible, take a camping stove and mini camping fridge. In some deserts, there are permanent camps that you can stay at that will allow you to use electricity.
What food should I bring for camping in the desert?
When it comes to food, you should opt for food that is rich in liquids such as watermelon.
You should also take some canned food such as meats. If you also take some bread with you then you could even fill yourself up on sandwiches.
For snaking, you can take various nuts and granola.
If you are taking a grill with you, then be sure to take some meats and veg.
What kind of activities can I do at the desert campsite?
Camping does not have to be boring. On a night, you can roast some marshmallows while having telling stories with your campmates.
During the daytime, you could take a ride on ATV (if you don’t own one, some camps allow you to rent them for the day).